Friday, October 14, 2011
What I learned from Toy Story
This blog might be a bit sparitac, but that is because this idea is fresh in my mind, I don't have the puzzle 100% together yet, but is was so crazy I had to write it down. Next time you hear someone say that they "NEED him/her," take a second to think about what the word need means... Need is defined as something that is required or essential. We like to tell people that we need them, and yes we do, BUT where do you draw the line between needing and wanting? Think about this for a moment: I can cook! I can clean! I can take care of myself! I can fix pretty much anything that breaks! So why do I "need" anyone? The Truth is that when we need something, it is a necessity that we cannot live with out, biologically cannot survive without it! Let me try and blow your mind for one second. We biologically NEED rain, food, air, water, etc... BUT have you ever heard someone say "I hate rain," or "I hate drinking water." So here is my thesis... You CAN hate what you need, but you DON'T EVER hate something you want!.... Do you agree? Let me ask you this, do you hate a car that you want? What if you NEEDED a car, could you hate the car you got, that you NEEDED, because it is not your dream car? Do you hate music that you WANT to listen to? Do you hate your favorite food that you want? WANT v. NEED? Now would you rather someone need you, need as in they can't live without you, like they can't survive without water or food. OR would you rather someone WANT you? They desire you to be with them, that is why you are there, or they WANT you to be there! Want is to wish for! Think about Disney for a second, I know Disney is not that manly, but think of what Disney represents; wishing for something could make it come true!!! Consider Toy Story (by Disney and Pixar) Woody wanted to get back to Andy, he didn't need too. Andy could have lived a perfectly good and normal life, after a short amount of time of grief, Andy would survive. Woody, and Buzz as well, could continue to be toys, another kid could pick them up and give them all the love they wanted. Was it that they NEEDED each other? Andy could play with any toy he wanted too, Woody could have gotten the love he needed from any kid, BUT they WANTED each other! Andy WANTED to love and play with Woody; Woody wanted to love and interact with Andy. Woody's need was to be interacted with, anyone could fill that need. The want was to be interacted with by Andy! And if we think back on the last part of Toy Story, and the extent that Woody, as well as Buzz, went to, to get back to Andy was amazing! They fought so hard to get what they wanted, they didn't care about what they NEEDED they cared about what they WANTED! They wanted Andy, and no one else. So next time you hear someone, or find yourself saying you, "NEED him/her," take a second and think.... If someone WANTS you there they are more willing to fight to 1) Get you there 2) Keep you there 3) Fight to get back to you! Because they have a biological need that is filled by you, but in reality that need could be filled by anyone. BUT if they want you there that means that they picked you, over anyone else out there, to fill a psychological NEED: TO BE LOVED BY THE PERSON THEY WANT TO BE LOVED BY!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment